Bigham Knoll #1

April 26, 2016

At the end of E Street in Jacksonville lies Bigham Knoll, the original 7 acre campus that was once home to Jackson County School District #1. In 1867, when the County’s first public school was deemed inadequate, the school district directors acquired this property and converted an existing two room house into a school building until local builders could erect a new 2-story frame and “weather boarded” school house. Students paid $5 per quarter in tuition until 1875, when the school levy was increased enough to do away with the tuition tax. A year later, the increased school enrollment necessitated enlargement of the building and an addition was completed “sufficiently large to accommodate all the pupils of the district.” On January 25, 1903, this 36 year old building was totally destroyed by fire.