Union Livery Stable


October 4, 2016

From the mid-1850s until at least 1907, the northeast corner of California and 4th streets in Jacksonville was the site of the Union Livery Stable. Horses, saddles, wagons, buggies, and tack could be rented as needed, and drivers could be provided. Carriages for residents were stored there and horses stabled. George N. Lewis owned the Union Livery Stable from 1900 to 1907. By 1911, the Union had been replaced by the Bailey Livery Stable. But before long “horseless carriages” replaced horses, and by 1930 the site stood empty. Today that corner houses the Jacksonville branch of Umpqua Bank.