Category Archives: Union Livery Stable

Union Livery Stable

May 16, 2017

Following the death of Dr. Franklin Grube in the Jacksonville smallpox epidemic of 1868-69, the house at 410 East D Street, originally constructed for pioneer Henry Judge a year earlier, was purchased by James A. Wilson. The Wilson family retained ownership for nearly 70 years. Wilson was a prosperous livery stable owner who for 6 years operated in partnership with Kaspar Kubli. Their imposing 2-story frame structure at the Northwest corner of California and C streets where the Umpqua Bank is now located was known as the Union Livery Stable.

Union Livery Stable


October 4, 2016

From the mid-1850s until at least 1907, the northeast corner of California and 4th streets in Jacksonville was the site of the Union Livery Stable. Horses, saddles, wagons, buggies, and tack could be rented as needed, and drivers could be provided. Carriages for residents were stored there and horses stabled. George N. Lewis owned the Union Livery Stable from 1900 to 1907. By 1911, the Union had been replaced by the Bailey Livery Stable. But before long “horseless carriages” replaced horses, and by 1930 the site stood empty. Today that corner houses the Jacksonville branch of Umpqua Bank.