Category Archives: Independent Order of Odd Fellows

Independent Order of Odd Fellows

odd-fellows-hall

 

October 21, 2014

In 1856, Scottish doctor John McCully constructed the first 2-story brick building in Jacksonville.  In 1861, the building was leased to Jacksonville’s Lodge No. 10 of the Independent Order of Odd Fellows; they subsequently purchased it in 1865. Beginning with 15 members in 1860, the Lodge quickly attracted many prominent local residents. One such member was Judge Silas Day. In 1868 he became Grand Master of the Order’s Oregon, Washington, Idaho, and Montana chapters. If he wanted to visit them all, it required a year and three days on horseback.


Independent Order of Odd Fellows